Some Favorite Fruit-Rich and Vegetable-Rich Recipes
One-Pot Pasta PrimaveraPrep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
This creamy, saucy pasta overflows with spring green veggies. But the best part is that it cooks up in a single pot-- in just under 10 minutes!
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
8 ounces linguine, uncooked
1 small onion, halved and sliced thin
1 pound broccoli crowns, cut into large florets (about 2 cups)
1 1/2 pounds asparagus, ends snapped off and cut into 2-inch pieces
4 ounces sliced white button mushrooms (about 1 cup)
4 large cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (less for milder heat; more to increase heat)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 cup frozen peas
1 small handful fresh parsley, chopped (about 1/2 cup chopped)
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
Additional salt and pepper to taste
Additional Parmesan cheese for serving, if desired
1. Add the broth, linguine, onion, broccoli, asparagus, mushrooms, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and
pepper to a large pot set over high heat. Drizzle the olive oil over the top.
2. As soon as it comes to a boil, set the timer for 7 minutes and start tossing constantly with longhandled tongs.
3. Continue boiling and tossing. As soon as the 7 minutes is up, add the peas, parsley, heavy whipping cream, Parmesan, and lemon zest and continue cooking, tossing constantly, for 1-2 more minutes, until the pasta and veggies appear tender. Remove from heat.
4. Note that much of the liquid will have evaporated, but not all. And that's okay! Let the pasta sit for a couple of minutes to cool; the sauce will continue to thicken during that time. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired. Garnish with additional Parmesan cheese.
Cauliflower Flatbread Pizza RecipeYield: 2 to 4 servings
2 pounds frozen cauliflower florets, thawed
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ cup chèvre (soft goat cheese)
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large food processor fitted with an “S” blade, pulse the cauliflower florets several times, until a ricelike consistency is achieved. Pour the cauliflower into the center of a thin dish towel, then twist it up and use your hands to firmly wring out moisture. Quite a lot of liquid should be released, leaving you with a dry lump of cauliflower pulp.
3. Place the cauliflower pulp in a large mixing bowl and mix in the egg, chèvre, oregano, basil, and salt, stirring well to create a uniform mixture.
4. Transfer the cauliflower mixture to the baking sheet and use your hands to press the crust firmly into a large circular or rectangular crust, about ¼ inch thick. Be sure to pack the cauliflower mixture together firmly and evenly, leaving no thin spots where the crust may crack.
5. Bake for 30 minutes, until the top is dry and golden, then carefully flip the crust over and bake for another 10 minutes. Use immediately as a pizza crust or allow the flatbread to cool and slice it to use as sandwich bread.
6. To complete the pizza, add your favorite sauce and toppings. Just be sure to include some delicious vegetables as part of the topping, as shown in the picture.
7. Then bake for another 10 minutes at 400ºF, until the topping are heated thoroughly. Slice and serve hot.
Spicy Mango Mandarin SmoothieIngredients
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 large Mandarin orange, peeled and seeded
1 cup frozen mango chunks
1 tablespoon honey
1/8 teaspoon cayenne (optional, or use less for a more mild smoothie)
1. Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Add more milk for a thinner smoothie, if desired.